Development Grant (iGi 2nd edition)
For the second edition of iGi, we are providing financial support to the participating teams (voluntary).
In the first edition, iGi, with the help of its mentors, provided extensive and detailed support to five Japanese indie game developer teams for a total of more than 400 hours over a period of six months in terms of development and business. In the process, we recognized that Japanese indie game creators need a wide variety of support to continue developing, and that we need to provide more detailed support tailored to their individual issues and challenges.
Starting from the second edition we are providing financial support to the teams in addition to the high-quality curriculum that was created for the first edition. The goal is to help game developers and teams that are creating high-potential games to scale their team and help them seize greater opportunities and increase their chance at succeeding.
Bearing the “creators first” motto in mind, iGi will expand opportunities for Japanese indie game developers to spread their wings to the world and contribute to the healthy development of the game industry.
We are looking forward to receiving applications from creators who want to further improve their games even further.
The core members of the development team need to be 18 years or older, Japanese speakers and residents.
Eligibility for Development Grant
- A game that has the potential to succeed in the global gaming market.
- You must provide a specific plan for the use of the funds.
- You must fully understand the purpose of iGi and promise to use the funds only for agreed upon purposes (game development).
Amount of Funds provided
- The amount granted will be decided on a case-by-case basis typically ranging somewhere between 5 million - 10 million JPY.
- The final amount will be determined via interviews conducted by the iGi secretariat by the teams that have been accepted to the second edition and applied for the funds.
Terms and conditions for receiving the development grant
- The recipient will not be asked to repay unused funds. The use of the funds will be limited to the scope of the specific plan submitted to the iGi secretariat upon application.
- All rights regarding the project will remain with the recipient and neither iGi nor Marvelous Inc. will claim any rights to the submitted work. Marvelous Inc. will not change the terms for its preferential negotiating rights for the publishing of submitted works as a result of the provision of the grant.
- The recipient must be a participant in iGi’s second edition.
- There will be no deadline for the recipient by when they need to complete their game. However the recipient will be asked to come into agreement with the iGi secretariat on their development goals for the upcoming six-month period and to work on polishing their game and preparing their presentation for the Demo Day.
- For more information on the second phase of the iGi incubation program, please check this page (https://igi.dev/program_en.html).
- These terms and conditions are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Japan. If any dispute arising out of or in connection with these terms and conditions (including any tort and other non-contract claims), the exclusive forum for resolution of such dispute shall be Tokyo District Courts in Japan.
How to apply
- Apply using the application form for the second edition on the official iGi website and check the “I wish to apply for the development grant” box on said application form (same conditions will apply as for when participating in the program).
- Once you have been selected as a team for the second edition of iGi and have accepted your spot in the program, the iGi secretariat will provide you with the development funds that are stated in the mutually agreed upon plan.